Thursday, September 19, 2013

IRELAND My Kitchen My World



UPDATE, on cozy Saturday morning....

We sat down here in the kitchen this morning to enjoy Michelle's "Sister Ita's Sultana Scones" It was really delicious, and we were so happy chatting and munching the scones with strawbery jam (wish I had clotted cream in the fridge)

OMG, I went to visit Michelle this morning, and found out that she made this "Sister Ita's sultanas scones", for MKMW that made my mouth water instantly. My husband really loves scones, sadly I don't make them very often. When I saw Michelle's scones that sounded delightful, I right away went to the kitchen and started to bake this delectable scones. I didn't put any sultanas because I want my son to be able to eat it as well. For some reason, he hates sultana, though my husband and like really it. So Michelle, I thank you again for choosing Ireland and for the delicious "Sister It's Sultana Scones" recipe. I also enjoyed reading your post about Ireland.



I made a simple meal that was not only satisfying, but it is also perfect for the chilly. A humble potato, leek and vegetable soup, serve with soda bread hot from the oven. The soup was not really a vegetarian soup, since its contain chicken stock in it, but it can easily replace with water for a true vegetarian. I took the idea from the classic potato and leek soup, but added many different kind of vegetables such as, carrots, green beans, parsnips, turnips and cabbage.



I serve the soup with soda bread, as you all know that this bread is  amazingly easy and quick to make. And I am very sure all of the MKMW members already know how to make it.

Recipe for Irish Soda Bread

1½ cup all purpose flour

½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ - ¾ cup buttermilk

  • Preheat oven to 400⁰F. sprinkle cornmeal on your small iron skillet. Set aside.

  • Mix flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Make a well in the middle, add the buttermilk. Stir with wooden spoon to form a soft dough. Transfer onto a lightly floured kitchen counter top, knead for one minute. Shape into a ball, place the dough into the small iron skillet. Cut a cross in the top of the dough with a sharp knife.

  • Bake for 40 - 50 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy